Friends of Mountain Lake Park held its annual board meeting a few weeks ago.
A number of items were discussed including the elections of new FMLP board members and board officers. We are happy to announce that Rich Shrieve has once again agreed to FMLP Board President. Colleen O’Neill agreed to step into the role of Vice President of the Board. Additional information is located at FMLP People.
A Community Meeting focusing on Mountain Lake Remediation and plan updates on the Park Playground is slated to occur on Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 6:30PM. The meeting will be located at St. James Church (4620 California Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues). We are expecting a full house! Please mark your calendars now.
We also agreed to host a couple of park cleanup events during 2013, including a first ever dusk event. FMLP will let you know when these community events are scheduled.
VOTE YES ON PROP B!
Whether you read a book on a park bench, take your children to the playground, walk your dog in the park, listen to live music in Golden Gate Park or play a game of soccer on our fields, chances are you use our parks every week.
Now you can support your parks by voting Yes on Prop B.
Proposition B, the 2012 Clean and Safe Neighborhood Parks Bond on this November’s ballot will help the City tackle over $1 billion in infrastructure needs throughout our vast park and playground network.
Proposition B improves existing facilities that are worn out from years of use; provides urgently needed seismic improvements that will make recreation facilities and playground equipment safer; constructs new waterfront parks; provides for shoreline restoration, replaces broken irrigation systems, and renovates failing playgrounds, and pools.
In keeping with City policy, this bond will be funded as existing bonds get paid off, resulting in NO increase to property tax rates.
Prop B is widely supported by Senator Dianne Feinstein, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, Senator Mark Leno, Mayor Ed Lee, the entire Board of Supervisors and School Board, the SF Democratic Party, the SF Labor Council, The League of Conservation Voters, the Trust for Public Land, The San Francisco Parks Alliance, The San Francisco Chronicle and the Bay Guardian.
You can view a full list of endorsers and a list of projects at www.yesforparks.com. MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK PLAYGROUND IS ONE OF THE SLATED PROJECTS
Prop B requires 2/3rd voter approval, so we can’t take anything for granted. This will be an extremely close election, so it is critical that you vote and you encourage your friends and family to vote Yes on B. Don’t just vote for President and turn in your ballot, vote for Prop B and the future of your neighborhood park!
There’s still time to get involved to help Pass Prop B. Here’s what you can do:
If you would like more information about the proposition or how to get involved, you may visit www.yesforparks.com, contact the SF Parks Alliance at [email protected], or call 415.516.9043. SFPA is the fiscal sponsor of the effort to renovate the Mt. Lake Park Playground.
Thank you for your support!
Here is contact information for other organizations important to the Friends of Mountain Lake Park and the Richmond District.
- Presidio Park Stewards: Sponsor of volunteer opportunities in the Presidio every Wednesday and Saturday from 9 a.m until noon –see FMLP home page for upcoming dates. Presidio Park Stewards
- parkscan.org: this is the link to report any maintenance needs you see in the park parkscan.org
- Planning Association for the Richmond: the neighborhood’s pre-eminent watchdog for many things, especially land use, zoning and transportation. Planning Association for the Richmond
- Neighborhood Parks Council: the all-city watchdog and omnibus organization for the many neighborhood parks and their groups. Neighborhood Parks Council
- Recreation and Parks Department: parks.sfgov.org
- The Presidio Trust: presidiotrust.gov
- One Brick: one of our favorite volunteer organizations onebrick.org
- Hands On Bay Area: another favorite volunteer coordinator handsonbayarea.org
- Boulevard Neighbors User Group: our neighbors who look after the care and maintenance of Park Presidio Boulevard BNUG
- The Daily Kernel: Richmond neighbor Doug Kern’s blog about goings-on in the Presidio and the neighborhood thedailykernel.com